The Sudanese government has vehemently rejected a UN Security Council resolution that would send a UN force to Sudan’s Darfur region.
“The Sudanese people will not consent to any resolution that will violate its sovereignty,” the official Suna news agency quoted the government as saying.The resolution demands the consent of Khartoum for the force to be deployed.
Killings, rape and displacement are continuing in Darfur despite the presence of African Union peacekeepers. In three years of fighting some 200,000 people have been killed, according to the UN, and more than two million driven from their homes.
The Sudanese government has suggested it send at least 10,000 of its own troops to the region, but Western nations and human rights groups say that could make matters worse.
Earlier on Thursday, the Security Council voted 12-0 to despatch 17,500 UN soldiers and 3,000 UN police to Darfur. China, Russia and Qatar abstained, saying they supported the contents of the resolution but wanted Sudan’s consent before adopting it.
“Every day we delay only adds to the suffering of the Sudanese people and extends the genocide.” Assistant Secretary of State Jendayi Frazer said she was “absolutely confident” Khartoum would accept a UN force.
Mrs Frazer said she would urge Sudanese Foreign Minister Lam Akol to come to Washington for talks. And the Security Council has scheduled a meeting on 8 September with Sudanese officials and representatives of the African Union, Arab League and Organisation of the Islamic Conference to discuss the issue.
Sudan rejects Darfur resolution